Friday, April 1, 2011

Week 6- Christmas at the MTC!!


Bonjour! Bonjour!
 
How are you?? Is the second week of Spring Break or is everyone back in school? I'm glad to hear that Silverstar was so much fun!!! Hopefully the snow was the glad...but I appreciate the editing of exactly how good it was lol. Has spring come yet to the Okanagon? Its been fairly nice here the past coupled days...its great when we can do our studies outside...its a nice break from sitting in the classroom.
 
This week has been full of the same old same old. But I've tried to think of some highlights. First- there were some definate French breakthroughs this week. I bore my testimony on Sunday...and I'm sure it was horrid french...but it was a big step from last month when I sat there with my jaw on the ground, a confused look on my face, and thinking what the heck are they saying! As well, in our lessons things have going much smoother! There have actually been circumstances when my companion has been at a loss of words and I've jumped in and given a coherant explanation! haha its a great feeling! To actually know what I want to say and in a very caveman fashion be able to say it! A big improvement from hearing our investigators answers and just being able to respond with "Je sais que (I know that...)" and respond with only a testimony. I'm sure the process with begin again in France...but I'll take my victories when I can! We also learned an amazing grammar trick in which you JOIN sentances...I know crazy right!? We are sounding less and less caveman by the day!! Tres super! We have also been attempting to go on a English-fast...its very difficult! Usually I end up forgetting as soon as someone tells a story and I want to add in my two cents, but everyday is getting better. My teacher told me that a complete English fast is really hard in the MTC...but as long as I'm attempting Franglais in all circumstances that will help. So once again the power of franglais is used! Mostly I just think to what Uncle Gordon told me about getting a headache in France from thinking in French. Everyday at the end of the day I gage how successful I was at working that day by how exhausted I am. Does my head hurt? Check. Am I dead tired? Check. Can I barely form English sentances? Check. Well then its been a good day in the MTC! haha
 
Our district has definately had some spiritual highs as well. We've had alot of experience baring one anothers burderns this week. I've had a relatively easy time in the MTC. No extreme difficulties...but I think I've been blessed with that because then I can use my time and energy helping others. All of the sisters and several of our elders have had an especially difficult week in one way or another. But its amazing how we were all brought together with different backgrounds and experiences that somehow help and support one another. Its been a testimony builder as we have born our testimonies to each other of the healing power of the atonement and its makes me that much more excited to share that with the people of France. One night we spent two hours (yes I realize we skipped language and companionship study) telling each person what we like about them. It was an amazing experience to realize how well we know each other already and how essential everyone's personalities have to been in helping our district to grow. You'd be shocked that they all told me they love how happy I am...and I laugh all the time. I told them about how you all count my laughs when I'm the phone and you never quite get to five before I laugh again. Anyways...I think the lesson from this week has been that yes hard times will come. But if you use those hard times to pray and come closer to Christ, then Satan's plan is foiled because you end up stronger in the end. So naturally, he'll try and get you from another angle. But then if you continue the process and come closer to Christ again. The process repeats over and over until I'm sure the enemy is quite frustrated, and you feel quite uplifted. It sounds like a good deal to me. Not that I'm asking for trials, but I'm grateful for them in the end.
 
And naturally, many funny times have come from this week. Our french continues to be quite entertaining for all. We were learnng reflexive verbs...and one elder instead of saying "I shave my self tonight" said "I shave all of the sisters"....soeur=sister, soir=night...you can see where the confusion comes in haha. But we are all learning, one of my favorite elders here is from China. I love waving at him on campus and helping him with his english. This week as we were all heading back to the dorms he came up to us and yelled "good morning!" and turned away...then turned back and went "Good night!" haha...I hope the people in france will just go with what I say like we did with him. Made me feel better to know we are in the learning process here at the MTC. Finally...you all appreciate this story because you understand my hate for feet!!! Well I lost my planner this week...and the other sisters may or may not have learned about my hate for feet. Well one sister found my planner and made me give feet-high fives before she would give it back!!! FEET HIGH FIVES!!! EWWWWW!!!!
Oh the things we do for entertainment at the MTC haha
 
Anyways- thank you so much for the package!!!! The elders loved the candy (the part the loved the most was when the next morning I said "the candy was good eh?" without even thinking that I was playing into every canadian stereotype and saying eh haha) and the LOVED the letters from Shannon...I think a couple have written back already. The flips flops are a life saver...I don't have to worry about getting some nasty disease anymore. And Pooski I'm loving the dark hair!!! Oh and tell Jeff and Camille congrats on the announcement!!
 
Next we are looking forward to getting 4 new districts in our zone! Which blows my mind because that means we are the oldies...which also means our time at the MTC is coming to a close! So crazy!!!! But I won't get ahead of myself...we still have four weeks! Which brings me to this weekend...Conferance! I can honestly say I think I'm more excited for that than I was for Christmas this year! And that is why I feel like its Christmas at the MTC haha. The best part is that we don't have anything scheaduled between sessions....which means...yes we may get to take a nap! I don't know how to explain my excitement! haha
 
Well love you all, Can't wait to hear from you!!
Soeur Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment