Thursday, April 21, 2011

April 15, 2011

BONJOUR!!!!
 
Guess what!? I can officially count how many days we have left in the MTC on two hands (no toes required!) Can you believe it! We are officially the oldies in the MTC!!! We kind of sound like we know what we're talking about when people overhear our french. Really we are just saying the 10 words we know really well over and over again. haha. But for reals, this week has been difficult to concentrate as we all start to feel the affects of leaving soon. At the same time though I think I've started concentrating more because I realize soon I have to ACTUALLY speak french...I can't get away with attempting to say something and then repeating myself in english. I'm not going to lie...I'm excited! We had 3 days of english-fast in our district this week. They were so hard...but also reassuring because it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be...but those were definately headache nights.
 
Life in the MTC remains same old same old. We are progressing with our investigators little by little...maybe they will get "baptized" by the time we leave. As well my companion and I had a really cool experience with the TRC this week. The TRC is where volunteers from the community come in and volunteer to be taught by missionaries. For the past 4 weeks my companion and I have concidently had the same 2 volunteers. One is a BYU student who is 19. She wants to go on a mission really bad and is mostly just waiting till she's old enough. She grew up speaking french and has studied it in school. The other is guy who served his mission in Tahiti...so he has a funny french accent (Tahitians roll their Rs and use the 'tu' form fore everything...Parisian french is in the back of the throat more and uses the 'vous' form) Anyways...the guy who served in Tahati always corrects my french...which I really appreciate but I think he thought I was bugged by it. So once our lesson was over he gave us a pep talk. He shared some experiences with us about the times he followed the promptings of the spirit and the times he didn't. It was amazing as he told us the miracles that happened when he would use his priesthood power to heal and help people and wasn't scared to say the things the spirit told him. He told me to not be scared to speak french, because he was a lot worse than I when he left the MTC, but as long as you are on the Lord's errand then the spirit will help me speak it and help the french people understand me. He told me about some of his lessons where if people really felt the spirit they would understand everything he said, while if someone else was sitting right there and not feeling the spirit they had no clue what he said.
 
I've thought alot about this and here at the MTC they keep telling us that we are going on our missions to find the elect. We are going out to find those who have been prepared by the Lord and are ready to hear our message. I am getting so excited to go. Yes there are feelings of fear and inaquadcies with the languages. But if there is such a thing as trusting in the Lord too much I think I'm there right now. I know I have to continually work to improve my french and have the courage to talk to people. But if I do those things then he will help me every step of the way. I think the scripture D&C 84:88 that describes perfectly how I feel right now.
 
Anyways, I love you all and miss you! Thank you for your words of support and prayers!
 
Soeur Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment