Sunday, April 8, 2012

April 2, 2012 "Scripture Power"

Bonjour Bonjour

Well this week was one of those weeks were I just sit back and think...woah did all that really happen in a week. First off we had transfers. Which required me going to Paris to drop of Soeur Cope, and pick up Soeur Dremeaux. Soeur Dremeaux is great! She is from a small town near Toulouse. She was born in the church, which is a nice reassurrance that multiple generation families do exisist in France! And its going great! I thought my brain was going to blow up....but after I get over the initial shock of having someone say 'ca va' to me at 6:30 in the morning, my brain seems to be adjusting. Its good...I actually really like speak french all the time! Helps me have confidence that somehow I communicate...and somehow she gets what I'm trying to say! My nightmare of coming home from the mission and not knowing any french is gone! Phew....

This week we also had an ami pass away. She's had cancer for along time, and last week we got a call from her friend, a member in our ward, telling us she was in the hospital again. We visited her last week and sang some hymns for her- and this Tuesday we got a text saying she had passed away. She has been in alot of pain for many years- so honestly I know she is in a better place being taught by angels. The miracle was that her family asked if they could use our church for the service. The Bishop said it was fine- and we got to be the chaprones for this lovely event. I know funerals are somber events...but I had to hold back a couple chuckles when the African choir started singing and people started yelling amens. I just really wanted a member of our ward to walk in and wonder why the missionaries were holding thier own seperate apostate congreation Friday morning. Anyways...all chuckles aside, it was nice to know that our church meant something to Murial and her family trusted our church to hold her funeral. Also got to learn many french vocab words related to funeral....

This week I had one of those amazing scripture moments. As I expressed last week, I was little disappointed to be staying in Brussels again. I'm tired. Sometimes I feel like I have nothing left to give to the members of this ward or city. I've tried to serve them, and when you don't see any change it can be discouraging. I just keep thinking, maybe another missionary would know how to serve them and bring them unto Christ better. Obviously, what I'm doing isn't right. Well, as Elder Scott said in conferance, sometimes while helping others, responses to our own problems can piggyback on revelation of how to help others. While looking for something to help a less active I came across Alma 31:31-32. It says
31 O Lord, my heart is exceedingly sorrowful; wilt thou comfort my soul in Christ. O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these afflictions which shall come upon me, because of the iniquity of this people.
32 O Lord, wilt thou comfort my soul, and give unto me success, and also my fellow laborers who are with me—yea, Ammon, and Aaron, and Omner, and also Amulek and Zeezrom, and also my two sons—yea, even all these wilt thou comfort, O Lord. Yea, wilt thou comfort their souls in Christ.
It was one of those the words lept off the page and spoke to me moments. Really, as I've come to realize, the answer lies in prayer. The Lord can help me not just endure, but enjoy, giving comfort to the people here in Brussels. The day I read this, we passed by a couple of less actives, who were shocked that I was still here...and excited to see me. They didn't just see me as another sister coming by to invite them to come to church...they saw me as a friend. And they felt like my friends. And I really cared for them. And they cared for me. I realize people can't come to church because they love a missionary- but it was different. It was a reassurance to me that I did stick around for a reason. That when you stick around for people and don't give up on them- it means something to them. And the Lord has the power to comfort my soul even if they continue to reject our invititation, and ultimately Christ's invitation to Come unto Him. Oh how I love the scriptures.
And there was conferance! I don't even know where to start. It was my last conferance as a missionary, and Soeur Dremeaux's first. Conferance is just amazing. I loved all the talks. As is always possible, I recieved many personal answers and confirmations I was seeking for, and some that just come anyways. Overall, I just feel so grateful to be a part of this great church, and to have a living prophet. I mean think about it. The rest of the world is trying to define what is right and what is wrong. Many people think its all objective, and that we can just get through life. But we, lucky ducks that we are, have the prophet and apostles. They tell exactly what we need to do, as a church, and through them, the spirit can whisper to us and tell us what we need to do personally. Its just so amazing.

And I won't lie, my heart ached a little everytime a story about a missionary was mentioned- knowing next conferance I won't be a part of this great army. But I did get some comfort knowing there is now Elder Smith and Elder Archie fighting evil for us....
In the end, tout est bien!

Love you!
Soeur Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment