Monday, February 13, 2012

February 13, 2012 "When it rains, it pours"

Bonjour Bonjour
 
So you know the expression 'when it rains it pours'? I realize that is usually directed towards bad luck...but this week I feel like I've had quite the storm of blessings. (sorry the exclamation mark button isnt working...probably a good thing because there would be about a million in this email...so I guess consider yourself blessed because you won't feel like Im yelling at you)
 
But seriously...this week was another miracle week. I know I should probably be used to all these miracles, since I HAVE  been a missionary for almost a year and everything...but some days I just go to bed thinking 'holy cow, what did I ever do to deserve to recieve all these blessings and be a part of all these miracles..I mean c'mon...ask my mom, I was not that great of a teenager.." but alas, the good Lord is somehow merciful enough to just keep pouring on the blessings.
 
I wish everyone could experience what it feels like for a missionary to see someone they've taught get baptized. I think I felt heaven for a few minutes this week. Honestly, a mission is a very tender experience. Your heart grows and becomes tender in ways I didn't know it could. Sometimes, I feel like such a grouch. People complain about their jobs, their children, how they wish they could quit smoking, and sometimes its all I can do from yelling at them 'WE HAVE THE ANSWERS,JUST APPLY THEM'..but then I regain my senses and kindly remind them to read the Book of Mormon, because it WILL change their lives. And then, when my most uncharitable feelings seem to be taking over, that sweet tender Holy Ghost comes along and opens my heart just a little more so you can see that these people are children of God with very real problems that are really trying to do the best they know how to.
 
And then someone decides to listen. Like Kedinnetse. She is honestly a hero in my eyes. This week on the phone she thanked Soeur Murray and I for coming to europe...I just said right back to her 'thank YOU for coming to Europe'. She is amazing. And yesterday in her white dress, she looked about as angelic as I've ever seen anyone look. Right before going into the baptisimal font we asked if she was ready, and then she made this little screeching noise (yes we are meant to be friends) and said "oh yes". Then after she came out, we asked her how she felt and she said "I feel good (eight million exclamation marks)". I know to you these sound like simple statements, but the emotion she used seriously made my heart swell.
 
Kedinnetse's testimony afterwards was so tender. She told a little bit about her upbringing. She grew up with an acholic dad, her mom wasn't a part of her life. She said her grandma taught her to pray, and every night she would pray that her dad would stop drinking. She grew up, had a son, and got a job as a nanny for a family. Then her boss was offered a promotion in Belgium, and asked her to move with the family for 6 months. She said when she found out she was going overseas she jumped with joy, and then realized she was going to be able to see snow for the first time. Then she came here, Ill spare you the details, but her boss's family is awful and tricked her and she now has to stay her for three years, for less pay then expected. (yes Im working on praying for charity for them). Three years away from her son. But she said she just kept praying, and God answered. And now, as she put it "I know there is a second witness of Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon. And I know God heard my prayers."
 
Yeah...the tears were flowing pretty freely. I wish you all could have been there. I could summarize the talks and tell you how beautiful it was. But lets me honest, it would never be the same. So just trust me, "it was good".
 
And so today, Im trying to cling on to this cloud nine feeling. But I kind of feel like my fingers start to slip as I realize my time with Soeur Murray in Brussels is coming to a close, and our Kedinnetse time is ending. Now that she has an independant testimony of the restored church, its time to find others.
But luckily Belgium is a pretty rainy climate...so I figure the others can't be far off.
 
I love you all.
Soeur Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment