Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3, 2011 "Les Meilleurs Moments"

Bonjour everyone!!!
This week I've decided to sum up our crazy missionary lives into 'top 10 moments of the week'...so here we go

Les meilleurs moments de la semaine:

10. Exchange in Caen
Beautiful town in Northern France. Sun was shining and the town is so CHILL compared to Paris. Met a RECENT convert of 97 years old, and her dog made noises like it was dying the entire rendez vous.
Best part: when she started singing...and the sister I was with couldn't keep from laughing so I was left singing all on my own...all of those who have heard my singing voice knows that this was not the ideal situation....yup...Im sure the angels watching were having stomach pains from laughing.

9. Personal revelation rocks.

 Especially when it comes through the scriptures. Just saying I had some good moments with Jacob 4 this week...
we'll just saying Im trying to be more grateful for my many apparent weaknesses. Eventually it means Ill have many strengths...eventually.

8. Sitting next to an Elder during Sister Dalton's talk.
He literally wrote "Be my daughter's Moroni"
I know... Im tearing up its so adorable.
PS. Dad...thanks for being my Moroni

7. New Conferance Traditions
:
From Soeur Williams: I enjoyed some fluffy apple pancakes Sunday morning
From Elder Dick, from England, we learned the importance of 'session sweeties'...we were well stocked for all the sessions

6. This world is very small.
Sunday night we were all coming back from Versailles (its the stake center) from watching Conferance. We had just seperated from the elders to take our seperate metros when our phone rang and their name appeared on the caller ID. Apparently, when they got on the metro three women had approached them and asked if they knew a 'Soeur Smith'! It was Grandma Beard's neighbor whose name escapes me right now, and her daughters Margaret, who is mom's friend from 6th grade, and her other daughter, whose name is also escaping me, who used to babysit me when I was little. So they borrowed the elders phone and wished me Happy Birthday! Even though they are kind of strangers...it felt like a small birthday wish from home!

5. Elder Uchtdorf's 'forget-me-not' talk to the relief society
Enough said.

4. Hanging out with Soeur Williams after a long hard day.
Background story: we were wallowing in self pity because people aren't lining up at the fonts for us. Then we went to a mangez-vous with a recent return missionary. She is a nanny for an American family in the ward. One child is deaf and we had fun making up our very own sign names. Then we discussed missionary work and she told us this analogy.
Before your mission your like a caterpillar. You are kinda of lazy and are just bumping around enjoying life.
During your mission your in a cacoon. Rigid rules and lifestyle don't leave much room for moving around. But its also the biggest growing period in your life.
Then you emerage, a beautiful butterfly, matured and ready to take on life.
I'll just say, it cheered us up, and ended with a lovely nighttime chat in PJs about how really missions (or life) never work out how your want them to. But thats ok.

3. Richard G. Scott's talk about 'packets of light' starting off conferance.
A. He is so tender
B. My new best friend are the scriptures....
C. Since when is conferance THIS good!?! I feel like I've been missing out all these years...or maybe they just decided to become amazing when I set apart as a missionary.
Thats probably it...

2. This week we got a call from Dr. Guglielmi
If you don't remember him...he was the doctor that took the book of mormon from Soeur Williams during one of her appointments.
He said he hasn't had a chance to read it, but he is determined to know for himself if its true or not, and we set a date to call him back in two weeks and hold him to that promise.

1. TEMPLE
Before all you debby-downers tell me that it was kinda only half announced because the plans are still in the work..well I dont want to hear it.
Yea- President Monson thinks he's hilarious pausing after Star Valley, Wyhoming. But- honestly as he spoke about Paris, France temple. Everyone in the room SCREAMED.
After, talking to one French elder, he said 'I imagine that was the same scream we all made when we read our mission calls'.
True.
So ya, obviously, we have alot of work to do to get the temple here. But its coming...I don't think I can describe what the means to me. Or Anne Sophie, or Lou, or Zdravko, or the many other faithful saints in France. or the saints who don't know they are saints yet. So we'll just leave it at...that was a very good moment.

Love you and miss you all!
Hope you have a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment