Monday, October 24, 2011

October 24, 2011 "Hitting the Ground Running"

Bonjour (if you extra emphasize that RRRR at the end, then you'll sound belg ;))
 
I thought it would be appropriate to start of this week with a Harry Potter analogy. So, last week I apologize if my email sounded pretty scattered and crazy. I feel like I grabbed onto a portkey and was whirling around being pulled in every direction, but today I think I hit the ground when we came out of the metro and had the feeling like 'hey..I actually recognize this place!'...well then I was sent whirling when we had to talk to the nice man at the library and I could not understand his french. Dang it, when france decided to spread its language it should have spread its accent too!
 
Anyways, things here in Bruxelles have been pretty crazy and busy! I love whitewashing...we have an excuse to call everyone in the ward and say 'hey..we're new...can we come over?' ...works wonders. This week we've met with alot of members and its been really good. We've gotten more of a feel of how the ward functions and how the members actually feel about the unity in the ward. (apparently it used to be alot worse...I guess thats a good sign haha) Anyways, we've had a miracle week (although that's kind of starting to feel normal...I know...Im in a missionary bubble)
 
This week our DMP (ward mission leader) and his family came up with a plan with us to get the work going in this ward. We prayed every night at the same time and fasted one day this week for the work. But rather than pray that we can find those people who are ready, we've been praying that those who are ready will find us or the members. When we visit members homes we've been challenging them to join us. Its been an amazing experience. We've passed by several members/ old amis and have been able to get into homes that other missionaries haven't been able to in a few years. We've identified several part member families and hopefully will begin to start to teaching them this week.
 
Then on Sunday, we had probably the most obvious miracle. We were heading out of our apartment building and said hi to a man walking by. He stopped us and said 'do you have a message for me?' .......Ya......it took Soeur Murray and I about 30 seconds to stop gapping and say 'yes a matter of fact, would you like to come to church?' Imagine how we were even more shocked when he said yes! He told us he needed to go home and shower and then he would come...and he actually came! Despite awkward amis class with the type of lesson you dont want amis to be there for and the wierd english/french translations going on...he loved it! It was the primary program...and he said afterwards he really felt the spirit in our church and it was amazing to see children with such a strong belief in Christ! I was so grateful for the simple testimonies those children had offered. Anyway, our new friend Richard asked ever so politely if he would be allowed to come back next week AND bring his dad!!! Ya...Soeur Murray and I are still recovering from the shock.
 
We've had some adventures as well. Like the time we were trying to find a members home, got off the metro at number 200 on the street...she lives in the 700...that was a nice jog. And after she showed us the 'closer' bus to her home...that required wandering through some swampy woods and waiting for a bus to pop out of nowhere like the knightbus (haha cant stop with the Harry Potter). I got to go on exchanges in Liege with Soeur Woodward, we were in the MTC togther and it was SO fun! (understatement) And I got to see a little bit of the Belge countryside and try 'real' gouffres...apparently they are originally from Liege. And I hit 8 months! So crazy ...starting to feel like Ill always feel like Im a 'new' missionary. Then one day its over. I guess its like when my mom tells me she was 'just' in high school... I guess Im hitting the 'middle age' of my mission years...and it just keep getting better!
 
Well...I love you all. And apparently Tin Tin or something like that is originally a Belge thing ...(Steven Spielsburg was here this week for the permier...we tried to contact him...but you know those Hollywood guys...just not interested..jk jk) so watch that movie and maybe it will let you know what my little home in Brussels is like (maybe not...I honestly know nothing about it haha) Miss you!
 
à tante tôt!!
Soeur Smith
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment