Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September 5, 2011 "Salesmen for our Father"

Ne-how-ma!!!!!
That's Chinese for hello and how are you?! This week we've had a little chinese influence in our life...and that Chinese influence is named Hana.

Hana is miracle (like all converts). About a month ago she was walking around Paris looking for a place to pray. She heard one of the Missionary Concerts in proccess and came in. She asked if this was a church...and to make a long story short the Chinese elders starting teaching her that night. Here's the twist...she is in Paris on vacation for two months. But in that time, she has given up smoking, decided not to get another tatoo, fallen in love with the Book of Mormon, and gotten baptized!!! Well this week the elders decided that she needed the sisters to teach her; she's had a difficult past and sisters just know how to give that tender love that sometimes people need :)

I think I can speak for the both of us when I say that Soeur Williams and I feel like some of the luckiest missionaries in the world to have been able to get to know Hana. She is honestly one of the most inspirational women I know. And one of the best missionaries I know! Everyday she has reported to us about some new boy that she has dumped by telling them that are literally wasting their time in dating her because now she "marry only mormon guy". She talks about how she has told all of her family and friends back home in Tawain about her new way of life and the love of "our father". She posts scriptures and quotes on Facebook multiple times a day. And how the first place she is going to go when she gets back in Tawain is the temple...then she gets really excited and jumps up and down as she says she can't wait to get "one of those special cards". I am humbled as she talks about how she reads the Book of Mormon for hours on end and how she needs to talk to "our Father" every day and every night. I love her stories about how before she knew "our Father" she would get very angry all of the time and was very cold to people. But now she cries all of the time and feels tender even towards the homeless people. Her english is limited. Kind of like Zdravko...but maybe the Lord puts language barriers there because it makes us sounds more childlike and only allows us to express our most simple of feelings. Hana has been our little ray of sunshine...every day we count the hours till we get to see her... and then I think its safe to say that all three of us walk away from the lessons feeling like we are on cloud 9. Im sorry...I know Im horrible at trying to sum up a person in an email...maybe I'll just quote her so you can get to know her a little better:

-(after teaching her about relief society) "I feel lucky to be Mormon women! Our father make us beautiful and smart. Smarter than men...but they don't know that!"
-"Today I listen to one song over and over again. That song is 'I am a child of God'. Today I go to super market and I singing and smiling, people think I crazy!"
-(after we gave her a card) "you can't buy this kind of love"
-"I think Alma is a lovely guy..." (after we told her in the scriptures you could find the personality of the kinds of guys you should date )
-"My friend wants me to send him painting of Paris.." she looks around the classroom and sees a painting of a scene from the Book of Mormon "maybe I send him picture of Our Father!!! Then he can learn about The Book!"

Dang it, I wish I could fly you all out here (or to Tawain) so you could have the priviledge of getting to know her! Last night we were talking about how we were all probably friends before this life. And we sat up in heaven and "spoke angel talk" and how we have been waiting all these years to see each other again in Paris. In that moment I had one of those wonderful spiritual confirmations that a mission is really where I'm supposed to be. Not that I've ever doubted it...its just nice to get confirmations once in awhile from 'Our Father' that your on the right track.

Since we've been teaching Hana we've been honorary chinese missionaries for the week. Hana helped us make a poster in Chinese for our ward activity we're planning. And we were invited to a chinese fĂȘte with all the chinese members in the ward. During the party I loved watching her running around hugging everyone, giving flowers to Ching-Ching (the older kind of Chinese grandmother in the ward), and seeing her force everyone to take seconds and thirds. It was difficult to picture her ever having a cold bone in her body. During our lesson the next night I decided to teach her the term 'social butterfly'...because thats what she is. Thats when she came up with this quote. She said:

"No I'm not! You guys are! You could sell house or car! Your like best sellsmen for Our Father, but instead of selling house or car, you sell God's story...FOR FREE!!!"

In that moment I felt so proud to wearing my missionary nametag. To be a salesman for Our Father. I thought back to a quote by C.S. Lewis....I don't remember it exactly but it is something to the effect that we have never talked to mere mortals. Every day I get to ride the metro, push through busy streets, and breath in the mystry smells of Paris with Our Father's children. I then think back to a training we had with President Staheli when he said that God could do all of the missionary work in France through one person or two. But he has allowed us to be a part of this great work.  I know Im getting gushy and sappy...but sometimes I feel guilty for complaining about vacance or our ankle situation...then I have those humbling moments when someone like Hana, whom I love and admire so much, turns around and says thank you for helping her...and you felt like didn't do anything. Then you know its really is a blessing to serve a mission.

Wa-I- Knee (I love you) and hope you all have a good first week of school!
Love,
jay-may (sister) smith

No comments:

Post a Comment